Homework Topic – Year 2: St Joseph
I hope you all had a fantastic summer and that we all feel rested and refreshed – ready for the year ahead!
The topics we will be studying this term and may be sent home as homework topics are Science – Materials and their properties.
We will be looking at materials and their properties. It would be helpful if you could get the children to notice what materials objects are made from and why this might be?
We will also be asking questions such as “What material may you want to lay on your bedroom/ kitchen floor and why?”
· Rapid recall of + and - facts to 10
· Rapid recall of + and - to 20, (e.g. 8+12=20, 20-8=12)
· Counting and recognising numbers to 100
· Reading number names to 100
· 2, 3, 5 and 10 times tables
· Missing box equations
· Please set aside a QUIET time each evening when your child can read to you. When reading, it would be helpful if you could encourage your child to:
· Predict what might happen next in the story and discuss the characters within the book.
· Sound-out unfamiliar words in a text or consider the pictures/context of the story in order to make a good ‘guess’ at the word.
· Build upon your child’s sight vocabulary in both the reading and spelling of common words and encourage him/her to read food signs, cereal packets etc.
· Draw attention to the use of full-stops and capital letters within a story.
Transport throughout Time
· Encourage your child to notice the different forms of transport and why they might use this rather than any other.
Homework will be sent home at the end of the week and should be brought back into school fully completed by the following Tuesday.
Your child’s P.E lessons will now take place on Wednesday and Thursday.
Please could you take time to sign your child’s reading-record every evening. We encourage children to read books more than once for comprehension of text. There is a space to write a comment if you would like. Children’s books are changed on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
I look forward to getting to know your child. There will be a Parents’ Evening in the last week before half term but if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to speak to me.