Homework Topic – Year 2: St Joseph & St Gerard
Welcome back! We hope you all had an enjoyable and restful Christmas and that you’re now ready for the New Year.
This term we will be reading Pattan’s Pumpkin: An Indian Flood Story.
It would be very helpful if you could do any of the following with your child at home.
- Counting in 2’s, 3’s, 5’s, and 10’s.
- Rapid recall of 2, 3, 5 and 10x tables
- Rapid recall of + and – to 20, including sums such as: 13 + ? = 20, 15 - ? = 11, ? – 6 = 4
- Counting and recognising numbers to 100, including the reading of number names (thirty four = 34)
- Working with money (looking at coins and identifying a given amount of money). Thinking about how much change you would get from a £1 if you spent less than this.
- Use mathematical vocabulary for common 2D and 3D shapes.
- Please set aside quite time every evening when your child can read to you. As the children improve many of them are reading on their own but it is very important that they have help from an adult. Please use a range of questions to help develop your child’s understanding of the story. When reading please encourage your child to:
- Predict what might happen next in the book.
- Sound out unfamiliar words or consider the pictures/context of the story in order to make a good ‘guess’ at the word
- Build upon your child’s sight vocabulary in both the reading and spelling of common words (then, there, when, where, some, said, our etc.)
- Remember to practise spellings sent home each week. Remember to learn the spellings out of order and put the word into a sentence.
- When talking to the children try to encourage using more adjectives and ‘up wording’ in everyday situations (instead of ‘I looked’ what else could we say? Peered, gazed, spied, glanced etc).
Topic: The United Kingdom – We will be continuing our study of the United Kingdom. The children will be learning about Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as focusing on atlas skills.
Science – Plants. To observe how seeds and bulbs grow into mature plants. To find describe how plants need water, light and a suitable temperature to grow and stay healthy.
RE: Our RE topic this term is ‘The Good News’, where we will be looking at various stories from the Bible including Jairus’ Daughter, The Ten Lepers and the Feeding of the Five Thousand.
PE: This will be on Friday afternoon and taught by our PE specialist Mr Maher. This term the sessions will be indoors, focusing on developing gymnastics skills. Please ensure that your child has a full PE kit in school at all times. This should include a plain navy tracksuit, school PE shorts and school top and trainers.
Our Year 2 assembly will be on Wednesday 30th January at 9:15 am. We look forward to seeing you there and showing you what we have been learning.
Fiona Somerville-Meikle / Alison Dwyer