HOMEWORK NEWSLETTER – YEAR 2 ST JOSEPH AND ST GERARD
Welcome back! We hope you all had an enjoyable and restful Easter break. We cannot quite believe that we are already in the Summer Term! We are really looking forward to a fun packed term with the children! This will be an important term as the children will be completing their SATS papers. Money was a topic that many of the children found challenging so please revisit this as much as possible at home. We will continue to send home extra homework to support with SATs revision.
Over this half term, Year 2 will be learning:
Please also ensure you are regularly revising the 2, 5 and 10 times table with your child. It is imperative they are confident with these by the end of Year 2. Please use Times Tables Rockstars to support with this
This term, we will be reading Man on the Moon by Simon Bartram.
- Please set aside quiet time every evening when your child can read to you. Please record this in your child’s reading diary so we know when to change their book. The expectation is at least 3 written comments from an adult at home per week.
- Please use a range of questions to help develop your child’s understanding of the story. When reading please encourage your child to:
- Predict what might happen next in the book.
- Sound out unfamiliar words or consider the pictures/context of the story in order to make a good ‘guess’ at the word
- Build upon your child’s sight vocabulary in both the reading and spelling of common words (then, there, when, where, some, said, our etc.)
- Encourage your child to read in everyday situations e.g. from a shopping list and find the item in the shop.
- Remember to practise spellings sent home each week. Remember to learn the spellings out of order and put the word into a sentence.
- Children will need to know root words and how to add prefix and suffix and what they mean.
- When talking to the children try to encourage using more adjectives and ‘up wording’ in everyday situations (instead of ‘I looked’ what else could we say? Peered, gazed, spied, glanced etc).
- Remember to make use of DoodleSpell to consolidate learning
The children will be learning about the story of the Resurrection and the Ascension. We will also be learning about Pentecost and how the Apostles received the Holy Spirit.
Topic - Geography – Map Makers
DT – Structures (free standing)
Science: Living things and their habitats
Computing: We will continue with our previous topics of Algorithms
Homework will be given out on Fridays and be due back in on Monday. The weekly Spelling Test will remain on Fridays.
PE will be on Thursday. Please ensure your child has the appropriate kit in school for this day. Please ensure all PE kit and uniform is clearly labelled to help us find it promptly should any of it go missing. Please tie long hair back with a plain red, white or black hair band. Children are not allowed to wear any jewellery including earrings, hair beads or shave patterns in their hair.
We are really looking forward to learning with the children over the next term. If you ever have any queries or concerns, we are here to listen and help. Please speak to us at the end of the day or book an appointment through the office.
ENIOLA ADEYEMI BETHANY GROGAN
St Joseph Class Teacher St Gerard Class Teacher