It is our pleasure to welcome you back to school for Term 1 2021. We are excited to be a part of this endeavour with your children.
Our role is to ensure students are engaged, enjoying school and experiencing success. We believe that children learn in different styles and at different paces to succeed. To achieve this, we will be focusing our attention on your child’s: attendance at school; correct uniform; developing peer relationships; homework and assessment tasks; class contributions and
- Parents should aim to have their children in school for 8.20am so the children can make the best start to their school day. Please ensure the children are promptly picked up at 2:30pm via the school carpark. The office must be notified if you are allowing your child to walk home alone.
- Children should have their ties done up smartly, with their shirts tucked in. If hair is longer than shoulder length, it should be tied back using a black, white or red hairband. No jewellery is permitted in school, including earrings.
- Children will need to bring in PE kits school on their PE day; Thursday. PE kits should consist of dark plain trainers, blue shorts, white T-shirt and socks. In the colder months, dark blue tracksuit bottoms and a jumper will be permitted. Please note that girls should not wear tights underneath their shorts. PE kits should be labelled clearly with your child’s name.
- The text we will be studying this term is called ‘Floodland’ by Marcus Sedwick. We will use this text to develop our writing in a variety of genres such as letter writing, poetry and narrative.
- Your child should be reading aloud to an adult at home at least three times a week.
Please sign their reading record to show us this is happening. It would be a great help to your child if you can discuss your child’s book and ask them a variety of questions. Please encourage your child to review the books they read as this will help them to develop their skills of critical thinking and comprehension
Children are expected to log in to their Doodle account every day for 5 or 10 minutes to revise grammar skills and spellings.
- This year, children will be encouraged to master their times tables. They will be covering a wide range of topics including place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, measurement, properties of shape, fractions, statistics, position and direction.
- Please encourage your child to see Mathematics in the real world using money and times tables.
- Please encourage their mental maths skills at home by using the ‘hit the button’ website or downloadable app.
The children must log in to Times Tables Rockstars (TTRS) at least once a week as part of their weekly Mathematics homework.
- In Religious Education this term, the children will be learning about ‘Creation’.
- In Humanities, the children will be studying ‘Ancient Greece’.
- In Science, the children will be studying ‘Earth and Space’.
- Every Friday your child will be given homework to complete for the following Wednesday. It is important that the children hand their homework in on time as they will have spelling tests every Friday based on their spelling lists. Homework will be given out next week.
- All homework books have a copy of the homework policy inside the front cover. Please remember to check over and sign your child’s homework so we know that you have seen it.
If you have any concerns or anything you would like to discuss, please email the school office who will forward all communication to us.
We hope your child has a truly wonderful year! With your assistance and support, our students will achieve their goals.
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and support.
If you have any queries or need to get in contact with us, please send an email to the address below:
School email: email@example.com
Mrs Hall and Ms Huynh